Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Trash fever

Okay. I read Gamson's chapter on how the talk show changed and I think he's MORE than fair about the upside of the trash talk tv genre. Indeed, he gives quotes any number of people who argue that it gives all of American a voice, no matter what their race, class, genre, or education level. However, I watched an episode of Maury yesterday and I'm not sure that any of the people I saw were worth giving a voice to. And I'm not sure that you're giving people a voice when you just bleep out every other word.
My sense was that it was all very cheap, over-sensationalized bad behavior and that furthermore the whole show reinforced race and class steretypes. I didn't see one redemptive moment.

1 comment:

Brianna Seo said...

I definitely think that everyone is not deserve to have a "voice". The show "Jerry springer" that I watched today can be a great example of my opinion. everytime when I watch this show,only one word crossed my mind, 'trash'.I could just know it was awful by looking at the topic of the show "I am pimping out my niece". The guests were leading the show on the stage by fighting and cursing at each other. Who gave microphones to them?? Why do I have to listen to their low quality of life stories? Even the audience who were cheering up them to fight disgusted me and I could not believe how this show can be still running. I think some people who give wrong and negative perceptions of our lives do not deserve to bring their voice up to the public. It was the kind of show that I would never like to watch again.